Halloween Project - The Problem with modding and Common Errors

So... I've been modding for and hour and half and it feels like I've never left it. My six year old son had to ask me for food five times before I turned it off and made him something to eat. THAT is the problem with modding. I can't stop. It's like a drug. I love it but can never seem to get enough. Hopefully this small project will give me something that is not going to consume too much time. I promised one room and already have plans for one room plus a possible level full of rooms. It's VERY VERY Hard for me to stop modding. I am DONE for today , but that's probably a lie.

At any rate, I need a little help. I'm thinking about doing something a little humorous in my mod. I need other modders to describe common toolset problems, issues and errors. Particularly things that would be easy for most to understand and recognize. Problems with an area baking, problems with 2da files, crashes, area corruption. If you were a driven half insane by the toolset but couldn't put it down, what would someone hear you babbling about? If you were a minion of a half insane person driven half mad by the toolset how would you describe the modding related tasks he is asking you to do?

I have some ideas, but knowing the group that regularly reads this blog I figure I might get some very entertaining suggestions.

(you can tell I'm modding when the posts occur more than once per day)

Comments

  1. If you were to hear me whine, the words OutOfMemoryException during saving would definitely be coming out of my mouth. I hate that error. It leaves only the .trn and .trx files in tact, and the walkmesh is useless without the placeables and tileset to go along with it.

    The one everyone is familiar with is the AutoSave feature however. Has a tendency of corrupting your current module. Although I am not sure if Obsidian fixed it recently.

    A even less problem is the controls the toolset uses is alot different than 3DS Max. If you're switching between the two, you're going to be pressing all sorts of buttons trying to refamiliarize yourself with the product. The camera controls are really annoying in the toolset (even moreso in game, haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already laughing. This could be very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome back!! :)

    time dilation always gets me - how i can spend what feels like 30 minutes tweaking and testing scripts but turns out it ws more like 5 hours..

    missing semicolons in scripts could be a good bug hunt !

    funniest thing for me is when i try and browse internet explorer or navigate photos using the toolset mpuse controls. More than once i've tried to rotate a photo or screenshot on a website to look at it from a different angle...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back old ts-junkie!

    My favorite hate-hate-hate thingie when it comes to the toolset is when I have been fiddling with the size of a placeable forever and found that 0.45, 1.12, 1,09 size I do the mistake to press backspace when typing the object tag or description. Whoops, size reset to 1,1,1. It happens all the time and it's so irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doh! Aggravating to be sure. Good stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might be tough to convey, but it aggravates me that there is no persistence with the list boxes being expanded or collapsed, especially in dialogues with the camera settings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This could be entertaining if done just right.

    I have a large forge like area underneath the 'house', and I think it should be populated with Gnomes busy 'baking' things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Why does my toolset hate sounds?"
    Or perhaps "What's wrong with the runestone?"

    As two items that reliably cause crashes, they would have to be my major irritations.

    Of course, there's always the minor annoyance of non-fatal exceptions like the colour picker somehow getting a negative index, or the error that is raised if you happen to depress both mouse buttons when painting terrain...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the suggestions good sir. much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evil Stronghold

Hang it up?

5e Conversion Guide of S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth