Ossian Studios

I was very flattered and surprised to receive the following email from Ossian Studios over the weekend:
Would you be interested in applying for a
scripting position at Ossian Studios? We are
currently looking for a scripter who has a technical
background, experience with NWN (HoF status in
particular), and a great interest in gaming in general.
Please let me know. Thanks.
Although I appreciated the invitation I regretfully declined with the following message:

Thank you sincerely for inviting me to apply for a scripting position as Ossian Studios. I played Darkness Over Daggerford and know a few of your team members. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Ossian Studios and it is with regret that I must decline your invitation.

My ability to commit time to writing and even playing modules is limited and very fragmented. I am married and have three young sons who I happily dedicate most of my time. My writing and playing comes in bursts of 5-15 minute increments here and there. Several years ago I did participate on the Maztica team, and found my scheduling limitations made it very difficult for me to contribute and participate in an effective manner.

I am passionate about games, and under different circumstances I might participate on a module writing team or attempt to play on a persistent world. Presently module writing represents one of the very few solitary pursuits I have, although I am branching out to work with a close friend who lives in the same city. I've known this person for 20 years, and he is well aware and quite accepting of my rather fragmented and irregular schedule.

Again, I am impressed with Ossian Studio's and I am very flattered that you invited me to apply for a scripting position. Regretfully I must decline your very kind invitation.

If I had more free time, I would probably pursue something like this. Working on games, particular D&D is somewhere between a passion and an addiction, but I just don't have the time to work on this with a team, at least not in a capacity where I feel like I could hold up my end of the bargain the way I want to. Either my kids or the modding team would loose out, I wouldn't feel right about not giving my all to a team, but I'm sure any parents out there know there was only one option here.

All in all it's bittersweet. It was great to be asked and disappointing to have to decline.

Comments

  1. Congratulations! Sometimes it's just nice to be asked to the dance :)

    And family + paying job should *always* take priority. In your heart you'll be so much happier knowing they are secure.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sir. It was very nice to be asked. I was very flattered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would have been fantastic to have you aboard, but you know what's best for you, of course! :) Won't hold it against ya. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hugie! It would have been a pleasure to work with you as well, you are a very talented modder. In another life with more time I would have jumped at the chance. Thanks for the very kind words good sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's well earned credit to you for doing a great job on your modules! Yes it's sad to have to turn down a offer like that but I'm sure that you you chosed the right thing for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I were a single guy I'd jump at the chance. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't what I have with my family in a million years, but once upon a time I had 'time' to pursue things like this. My wife is always supportive of my addiction (hobby) and encourages me, but I know myself and I'd wind up neglecting either my kids or the studio and neither is acceptable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evil Stronghold

Hang it up?

5e Conversion Guide of S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth