Modding Hiatus

Hey Folks,

I am officially taking a modding Hiatus. How long? I don't know.

I am going to help with a DMFI related adaptation of Keep on the Borderlands, but then I'm turning off the editor for a while.

My friend Bruce (aka Darmok) said, maybe modding is more of a winter sport. Perhaps? I don't know. I just know I need to get away from it for a while. I've always joked it's like an addiction and it really is. I feel like I'm in a good place right now. Tomochan just made the hall of fame and received an AME award.

I have more hours than I can count poured into Hythum. The area design is done. The plot outline is done and I have dialog done for maybe 5-10% of the mod. It's hard to put it down with so much poured into it.

Now for the guilt. Amraphael made an amazing airship model for me to use in this mod. I feel a great deal of gratitude and quite a bit of guilt for stepping away from something that he put so much effort into.

I written to a friend about this, talked about it with my wife and discussed it with Darmok/Bruce. No one is telling me to take a break. In fact I usually hear, 'you seem to get a lot out of it.' I feel like it's dominating my thoughts too much.

I want to play a few mods, play other games, play with my kids, get out an exercise more. Maybe after 4 NWN mods and 2.5 NWN2 mods I'm burned out. Maybe in two days I'll have the editor open again.

I am backing up all of my Hythum related files to DVD right now. One will stay with me and another will go to Darmok/Bruce.

I'm not sure when I will pick this up again, but I need to feel like it's not waiting for me for a little bit. I'm an old school D&D Dungeon Master and I'm never going to stop creating for D&D but I definitely need a break from modding for a while.

I may be back in the toolset in two days, two months or maybe even longer. For now I'm officially on Hiatus. Maybe when it's cold out I'll try again. Maybe if the surgeon wants to fix my other foot I'll try again. I just don't know.

I'll still blog and linger around. I'm not going anywhere, I'm just not modding for a bit.

Comments

  1. I’m sad to hear that, but at the same time I understand. I have a hard time believing you won’t be back sometime soon, or later, but if you aren’t, that would be ok too. I’d be most disappointed if you unhooked from NWN2 completely, so I’m glad you’re saying that won’t happen for now. There are many NWN2 players that are active community members, that contribute to it and support builders. I’d see you well as one of those until the TS calls again, if you so chose to play that part. Or perhaps you could become a host on the NWN Podcast. :) Take care friend. Enjoy the summer. And have fun, however you choose to play the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a bunch of mods I'd love to catch up on, Dark Avenger 2 definitely comes to mind.

    It's funny now that I've said, enough! That's it! I need a break! I want to write more dialog. I'm resisting the siren call of the toolset. We'll see for how long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, you're lucky--If the toolset sings a siren song, I've long since had wax stopping my ears. It's only once I'm knee-deep in the toolset that I begin to feel happy modding. Time away only seems to exacerbate my tendency to do nothing.

    I have no doubt you will come back, no matter how long you're away for--it's taken me a lot of time away to feel refreshed--but it's better to come back totally rested than to come back out of guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly understandable. Thanks for all the great content you've given us and enjoy the rest.

    JasonNH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad to hear, but I'm glad to see it's by your own choice and not any illness or family or work related that have forced you to put it at the shelf for some unknown time.

    Maybe it's time to start the TSAG - Toolset Addicts Group. Anyhow, enjoy the break as long as it lasts and you need, something says me that we'll soon see you again. :) At least i hope so, you veteran mod maker wizard.

    Have a nice summer friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bah - it's just summer fever...

    Take two months and call me in the morning! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually did think about starting an toolset addict group. It really does feel like an addition. I need MORE and MORE to get my fix! I can't stop!!!!

    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how you feel, man! Take a break -- the toolset isn't going anywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, but it's calling me. I've backed up the mods and given them to some one else, but I haven't deleted the files from my hard drive. It's still calling me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know the burnout feeling, and i think it's harder with the bigger longer projects. I think we need Modding anonymous, but also modding rehad in case of burnout!

    I've eased off the toolset a bit recently, to enjoy the sun, play other modules, and focus on other projects. I think around this time last year i eased off to, just after DA1 was released.

    Anyway, I guess with the foot healed, it's a good time to get outside and enjoy the summer

    That said, somethign I have wondered is if we (ie all the modders checking in on the blogs) would benefit from collaborating more widely to help stave off burnout. Say 90% of the stuff we do for your own projects, but the other 10% of the time we post we're free to help others if they need it. A change is as good as a rest as they say. Given some guidance, I'd happily chip in on any dialogue you mentioned you were working on for example.

    That said, enjoy the break, I really hope you do enjoy DA2 if you get a chance to play, and we'll catch you back here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks good sir. Collaboration is a good thing. If I get going again, perhaps I'll take you up on that kind offer. I'll continue to post here and elsewhere offering my two cents when appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you can treat hobbies as enjoyable things, not work projects. They share some things in common sometimes, but if you don't feel like building, then don't. If you do feel like it, even for a short while, do. The only responsibility you have is to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always written PnP D&D mods, or levels/mods for computer games. It's not likely to stop anytime soon. :-)

    I just need a break. Thanks for the encouragement good sir.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ernie!! I am also on a hiatus as you know. This summer is very busy for me. Play Mass Effect! lol I loved it. And I don't even like sci-fi that much. I was so impressed.

    As jclef said. Take to months off for the summer and call him in the morning. hehe

    Regards
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been playing a lot of Age of Empires III. I can get very burned out on RTS games, but am enjoying it a great deal.

    Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5e Conversion Guide of S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Evil Stronghold

Maps for B4 The Lost City