AVG detects a false virus in NWNmain.exe

I was excitedly testing an Airship model from Amraphael tonight. Looked great in the toolset then I fired up the game. The menu/launcher started. When I hit 'Play'. AVG (AntiVirusGuard) popped up and told me there was a virus in nwn2main.exe. I choose to ignore, assuming it was a false positive do to a bad/new virus def file I grabbed tonight. The splash screen closed but not game. I tried again, same steps no result.

I looked for nwn2main.exe directly and found it had no icon... odd. I ran it directly. No dice.

I restarted. I tried the launcher and exe directly with AVG disabled. No dice. It did not load.

I ran nwn2main_admXP.exe. Success, but I don't have an amd processor. (The airship rocked by the way).

So... a quick search revealed the following posts:

Bioware Forum Thread # 1
Bioware Forum Thread # 2

The unofficial resolution is to uninstall AVG. I'll disable it while playing, editing or patching but I am going to run AV software. I have also read the nwnmain.exe is not fully patched. So I may be looking at a reinstall. I will watch the forums for a resolution, and hopefully AVG will have a fix for their end of this mess too. If anyone sees a clear/clean resolution post a link in the comments section please.

EDIT:
I am fully patched (whew) ... this can be an issue. Darmok, my Hythum partner found the following solution on the forums:

Solution Thread

If you turn off resident shield in AVG you are back on track. It runs. This is not a good long term solution but it works for now.

WAY TO GO DARMOK.

Comments

  1. Weird. I use AVG and I've never had a problem with NWN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I read it has to do with the latest AVG virus defs and patch 1.11. I am getting around it now.

    I called a buddy of mine and he reproduced the issue on the spot. He's also the guy who found the solution on the forums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm holding off on 1.11 for now, so I guess that's why I haven't seen anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's part of the cause. The latest AVG defs and 1.11. Good thing you haven't updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wait on Windows, Office and the like but patch my games pretty quickly, I'm always interested in the bug fixes, particularly toolset related. Sounds like AVG has fixed the problem. I'll update my virus defs and find out shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evil Stronghold

Hang it up?

5e Conversion Guide of S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth