Visual Effects

I am interested in using a few visual effects from NWVault. Specifically, dripping water and some vines. I haven't tried the vines yet, but I have used the water. I placed the five files included

  1. botu_dropsfx.sef (this seems to be the main FX file)
  2. botu_dropsend.pfx (part of the fx file, the start point of the drop or particle emitter)
  3. botu_drops.pfx (I'm guessing the end point of the drop)
  4. botu_dropsend.tga
  5. botu_drops.tga
I dropped all five files in the override with no effect.

This closed thread on biowares forums was helpful. I put all of the contents in the temp file for the module. I was able to copy a place effect, and pick the drops from the list. Unfortunately autosave started throwing a terrible error. I experimented moving everythign but the .sef to the override and the module wouldn't open properly (no worries, I had a backup).

It's exactly what I need, but I'm not sure how to safely install it for distribution and/or development.

I'd also like to slow the drip rate and make it less frequent. According to the author this is possible in the effects editor, but I haven't been able to make sense of it.

The other fx I haven't tried. It requires dumping most of the files in the override directory.

My new modules is already making use of some haks, some override files, some music files. I prefer importing and erf, or importing a hak file. I've never liked putting content in the override directory. It's hard to tell what is needed for what module or resource, and it's horribly messy. I am going to do that to get a few things into the mod I really want, but again, I dislike it.

So... my questions...

1) How to I get the drip vfx installed properly for development.
2) How do I redistribute the drip vfx
3) What is the best practice for including custom content?

Please note, I do not have the talent or time to create custom effects or items. I have a profound respect and appreciation for anyone who takes the time to do so. I sincerely hope this doesn't come across as complaining, it's not. I just want to know how to use these resources. I think there great! I need 'em!.

I'll post this on bioware's forum too.

ENoa4

* Update *

I got a great reply on biowares forums about part of my questions. Good info on best practices here. I've had problems with 2da files and now others have too, so I'm not sure how I will proceed overall. I still don't know what to do with the FX file I've got. The post on the forum is here.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other's and more talented may think otherwise but this is how I would do it:
    Q1: How to I get the drip vfx installed properly for development?
    A1: Put them into a hak with hak-packer (download from the vault) and include it in your mod.

    Q2: How do I redistribute the drip vfx?
    A2: Submit the hak-file with your mod.

    Q3: What is the best practice for including custom content?
    A3: Not everything can be included into a hak-file (some strange NWN2 feature that may disapper in the future). But otherwise I think it's a good idea to use it because it's easy for the player to install - and remove. Avoid using the override map.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thing - I'll download the VFX you mention and try them out tonight. Maybe I can give you a hint after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There have a been a number of helpful posts recently. The information from Amrapheal here and in other locations has been quite helpful.

    Thank you thank you thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evil Stronghold

Hang it up?

5e Conversion Guide of S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth