Campaign Lock up and Loadscreens

I spend most of the day preparing load screens then a few hours trying to figure out why the related HAK file was causing the game to lock while loading. Eventually I realized the HAK file and load screens are fine, it's the fact that I am loading the module as a campaign. I'm not sure what I've got fouled up but I am curious. I'll have to read up on campaigns when I have time. I'm going to noodle with the load screens and confirm they are working then stop for the night.

Everything loads fine in the editor. Very odd.

* UPDATE #1 *

Looks like the load screens are not working either. They don't cause the module to fail, but they don't work either. Very odd. I'll post some of the 2da file here and would be happy to e-mail it to someone for a peak if they'd like.



* Update #2 *

Found this on Wendersanven.com *
http://www.wendersnaven.com/resource/44

There's only one way I managed to solve the unpacking module hang when starting a new campaign:

1) Close down your starting module in the toolset. For some odd reason the toolset is fussy about having it open when making it the starting module.

2) Make a new campaign in the campaign editor and type in the starter module name to be exactly the same as the filename without the .mod extension.

3) Hit the save campaign button.

4) Lastly add your starter module to the list of modules the campaign will use. This last step may not be essential to get the starter mod loading but will definitely be needed later on.


I'm off to test this.

* UPDATE #3 *

Nope. That wasn't it.

* UPDATE #4 *

HOORAY! Success. It looks like I was missing an underscore from the file name (DUH). What's funny is I had the editor add and set the name. I manually checked the name half a dozen times while working on this since that was a common problem but never noticed the missing underscore. Problem solved.

The loadscreens were there but were random. Tackling that is next.

* UPDATE #5 *

Loadscreens are working but not the way I'd expect. I replaced rather than added lines to the loadscreens.2da file thinking I wasn't going to use the old ones. Fine, except the old image names are still used. UGH! Ok, I can fix or work around that. I have the power bar plug in and it has a load screen editor, which shows the correct name of the image (my name) and has a feature to copy it to any area in the current mod. This appears to work if the area is OPEN but not if it's closed. I have a number of solutions I can pursue. I'm thinking creating a new 2da with added rows may be the way to go but it will take a while. I may just suffer with what I've got. I have a workable solution. If it ain't broken...

* UPDATE #6 *

Loadscreens are fixed. I rewrote the 2da. I'm on the road.

Over the weekend I started on dialog and a few books and journal entries. Even though this is a a re-write of existing material there is a lot to do.

Comments

  1. Phew - looks like you had to do a a fair bit of tracking to pin those issues down - well done tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had your work cut out Ernie. Why do the simplest things seem to become very complicated when using the toolset? :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, kind of a pain, but all is well that ends well I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evil Stronghold

Hang it up?

5e Conversion Guide of S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth