Hard Drive Problems

I decided to defrag my primary and secondary hard drives on Easter Sunday. The primary went fine, the secondary threw a weird error which I failed to write down or find in the app or sys logs. The error indicated a problem reading a .bmp files that started with a ~ It seemed like it was having trouble reading an open file, but there was nothing open. It suggested the problem was a failed network connection. My computer could be off my local lan and I should still scan a local drive without any trouble.

I the defrag shut down and the secondary drive didn't show up on my drive list. (CRAP). I restarted, and the machine locked on reboot (CRAP CRAP) I restarted again and it ran checkdisk on my secondary drive automatically. (Whew)

It said, "The volume is dirty." (I work in IT but I am not familiar with that but could deduce the meaning).

Then slowly lots of messages like this:
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc0250000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc0260000 for 0x10000 bytes.

(CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!)

The CPU is up when I'm back from dinner at my in-laws. (nice dinner, fun times)

The secondary drive is back with some odd folders that look like they've been recovered. It looks like my video editing suite may be toasted, but my music files and NWBackup folder are intact. I start defrag and get.

"Disk Defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on volume:"

and ""The volume is dirty."

(MORE CRAP!)

So I am running a full check disk and checked the sys and app log. I found the following articles about the issue. Article #1, article #2 and the following google search result.

Sounds like a check disk SHOULD fix it. It could be

A) a disk failing (no suprise there)
B) A virus (possible but I'm pretty careful)
C) Windows screwing up, and there is a way to reset the status so the drive is not considered 'dirty'. (Hmmmm.... wish I could find this on a KB article from Microsoft)

(CRAP!!!)

Good news is not too much is in danger. Lots of video and some music, but that would be the worst of it. It's been a few months since a full backup. At work we run them nightly but I don't have the time or resources to do that at home.

We'll see what happens.

(FRAK!)
* * * * * *
Edit 2.5 hours later

Looks like we're back on the road, no problems. *whew *

Comments

  1. That's the complete nightmare! I have put together an old PC with FreeNAS and a cheap 4 port RAID5 card. The only thing that was a bit expensive was the four hard drives. 500Gb disks comes pretty cheap though and I did some calculation what all the family photos, movies my own complete music productions AND the NWN2-files, are worth to me and decided that it was worth more that 450 USD. Then I do backups every night from my wifes and my PC. It's not the ultimate secure solution but it keeps us pretty safe for a while.

    Glad to hear that you didn't lose everything on that disk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel pretty bare at home with only periodic manual backups. I do have two physical drives in my primary computer, but we've got 4 CPUs running, one is not networked.

    At work, we've got very robust backup and fault tolerance build in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evil Stronghold

Hang it up?

5e Conversion Guide of S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth