RPG Mapping Software

 



I create maps for Dungeons and Dragons for my own custom world and for many 5e conversions I post for sale on DMs Guild. I have piles of hand-drawn maps from the 80s and 90s over the past 10 to 20 years I have tried many mapping programs and settled on a few favored pieces of software.  

Dungeondraft by Megasploot

Dungeondraft by Megasploot is my favorite mapping program for dungeons, small wilderness areas, and battle maps.    It is easy to learn and I can knock out a good-looking map in a few hours or less depending on what I am trying to create.  It comes with a healthy number of textures and assets.  Free assets can easily be created and added or purchased from 3rd parties.    

The learning curve is low, the price is low and the software is fast and flexible. 

It is possible to bring in an image and trace or draw over it, using it as a guide or template.  This works well, but if the old map has a grid it is often difficult to get them to line up perfectly. 

Maps may be exported as JPG or PNG at various DPI.  The background grid and lighting may be turned on or off during export.   There is some ability to export universal VTT information, but I have not used or experimented with this. I do frequently print these maps for tabletop use, or use on Roll 20.   As noted earlier, I post many maps for sale on DMsGuild and most have been produced with DungeonDraft.

Map size caps out 128 by 128 squares and when working with a large or complicated map, I've run into the occasional crash, but I truly cannot recommend this software enough.  It's a real winner.

At the time of this post, Dungeondraft costs $19.95. 

Wonderdraft by Megasploot

Wonderdraft by Megasploot is my go-to mapping program for world maps and I occasionally use it for wilderness maps or handouts.  All of the world maps for my custom worlds are produced using Wonderdraft.   The learning curve was pretty easy, but I do find this program a little more complicated than its cousin Dungeondraft.   Just like Dungeondraft, it comes with a healthy number of textures and assets.  Layers, grids, and hex overlays may easily be added.  Free assets can easily be created and added or purchased from 3rd parties.    Maps may be exported as PNG and JPGs.  There is some ability to upscale maps prior to import. 

For speed, price, and ease of use, this is a terrific piece of software.

At the time of this post, Wonderdraft costs $29.95. 

Dungeon Painter Studio by Pyromancer

Dungeon Painter Studio by Pyromancer was my go-to mapping software for years, but I have shifted to Dungeondraft for most projects.   The price is definitely right on this software ($14.94 at the time of this post).  There are two different versions of Dungeon Painter Studio.  

The original 1.0 version is what I use most of the time.  The learning curve is not too bad, but I do not find it as fast or intuitive as Dungeondraft.   The ability to group objects together into layers while working is powerful once you get the hang of it.   The software is fast and stable.n allows for export in a variety of formats.  

Dungeon Painter Studio 2.0 is included in the same purchase which is nice.  It has some great-looking lighting and textures, but I have never really mastered it.  Every three to six months or so I go back and knock out a map trying to master it.  I've never used a map produced with Dungeon Patiner Studio 2.0 but I am quite excited by how things look.  Maybe it will click or me someday, or there will be a change to the UX and it will be a better fit for me.  

Many textures and assets are included the many more can be quickly added from the steam community.

At the time of this post, Dungeon Patiner Studio is available on Steam for $14.95

Illwinter's Floorplan Generator

Illwinter's Floorplan Generator is fast and inexpensive.  The learning curve seems very low and you can knock out a quick map in hours or less.   With that said, I haven't used it as much.  Dungeondraft has more assets and features and remains my go-to software for most maps.  The maps can be printed or exported for use on various VTTs.Although it may not be as robust as other software, the speed, price and ease of use definitely make this worth a look. 


Hexographer \ Worldographer

Hexographer \ Worldorgrapher is a great piece of software for world maps.   It is possible to build an old-school colorful hex-based map and toggle between that view and a more realistic or artistic view.   In my view not every hex translates clearly  but this is a compelling feature.

In addition, it is possible to take an area or hex, zoom in a do a detailed map of that area.  When creating this area, the mapping software tries to help produce or seed the initial zoomed area which is quite useful.  

While I really like and recommend this software  I have used Wonderdraft more.  For my needs and games, it has been a better fit, but I am glad I own this software and would still recommend it enthusiastically.


At the time of this post, a Worldographer Pro license is $34.95.

Dungeon Builder by Hobbyte

Dungeon Builder - The Isometric Map Maker | Hobbyte allows you to quickly construct stylized isometric maps.  I love isometric maps and have drawn a few by hand (they are not very good).  I have used the free version of Dungeon Builder and it seems to work well and is easy to figure out.   The software is not cheap if you want to resell maps made with Dungeon Builder and this has kept me away from purchasing it.  With that said, it looks great!

At the time of this post Dungeon Builder costs between €59 and €577.


Campaign Cartographer \ City Designer \ Dungeon Designer 

The Campaign Cartographer suite of mapping software by ProFantasy has been around for a long time.  I have always wanted to try it out, but the price point and the sheer number of paid add-ons and symbol sets have kept me away.  If time and money were no object I would take the plunge.  


Inkarnate 

Inkarnate is very well regarded for mapping world maps.  I see a lot of folks singing the praises of this web-based map creation tool.   I have experimented with the free version and it works very well, but I am not a fan of subscription-based software, particularly when there are good pay-to-own products like Dungeondraft and Worldographer.  Although my experience with this software is too limited to review it fairly, based on the buzz in the community I have a hunch it is an excellent piece of software.  

At the time of this post, Inkarnate is $25 per year or $5 per month.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evil Stronghold

Hang it up?

5e Conversion Guide of S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth