My RPG History \ Old School Adventure Reviews and Podcasts

 I do not clearly remember the year I started playing Dungeons and Dragons, but it was around 1980 give or take a year or two.  I was a player a little, but almost exclusively ran games as a Dungeon Master.  I collected TSR books, adventure modules, and games, and dabbled a bit with Traveller, but D&D was my primary game.   I wrote custom adventures and created homebrew worlds through college, and stopped a few years after as friends drifted away and adult life set in.  Computer games scratched the itch for role-playing from the mid-1990s until around 2016.  I even wrote adventures for the Neverwinter Nights 1 and Neverwinter Nights 2 computer games based on Dungeons and Dragons. My kids were old enough that I could sneak out of the house once a week or an open game at Titan Games, a local gaming store.   The open group grew steadily until it was quite large and hard for the DM and store owner to run each week.  He knew I was itching to start running a game again and invited me to take half the group, and split off into a standing weekly game.  The faces in that weekly group have changed a bit since 2016 and the game is now run online or out of my home, but I've had a steady weekly Dungeons and Dragons game for nearly six years now.  I love it!


During the past six years, I have released a few original adventures and many 5th Edition conversions of old late 1970s and early 1980s D&D adventures originally published by TSR over on DMsGuild.  Conversions of old Advanced Dungeons and Dragons adventures from my youth have cropped up in my homebrew campaign.  This was a nice way to reconnect with great memories from my childhood, but with a fresh perspective.  I learned and understood more about these old classics than I ever did when I was the first reading and running them.


I have also read many blogs, listened to hours of gameplay podcasts, and watched many videos on YouTube all frequently focused on old-school-style play, D&D retro clones, and old-school adventures.  The proverbial pond of content and reviewers is wide and deep.   For those that are curious, there are several, I would highly recommend, particularly if you are looking for a review of older adventures, or someone with old-school sensibilities.   Here is a suggested list in no particular order.

  • YeOldGeek - YouTube channel with reviews of classic adventures and thoughts on adjusting the 5th edition to give it an old-school feel. 
  • RPG Retro Review by Captcorajus.  YouTube channel with reviews of classic adventures and gaming systems as well as newer retro-clones.   Videos on the classics are here as well as a number of adventures I have never owned or run.  
  • Dungeon Craft by Professor Dungeon Master.  YouTube channel by a gentleman who grew up playing when I did.  He frequently focuses on helping viewers run the ultimate game of Dungeons and Dragons.  Many of the ideas and suggestions have an old-school senstibility.  
  • Greyhawk Grognard: A blog and YouTube channel focused on the world of Greyhawk.  This guy really knows his lore and I think he has ready every old rule book, module, and novel related to Greyhawk.  Buckle up for a deep dive into Greyhawk lore.

I consume many other blogs and youtube channels, but these four will really help you reconnect with the early days of Dungeons and Dragons.

Stay safe and happy gaming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evil Stronghold

Hang it up?

5e Conversion Guide of S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth